Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Massachusetts and Maine - Family Visit

I spent the week around the Fourth of July visiting my family in western Massachusetts.  I grew up in the town of Adams, a beautiful small town with typical New England character at the base of the highest mountain in Massachusetts.  I am always surprised at how green the landscape looks; I've become accustomed to the drier, browner state of Utah where trees and plants don't completely obscure the view.

Park Street view in Adams

Old smokestacks from Adams' industrial days

Mt. Greylock - the highest mountain in Massachusetts

The day after the 4th, I joined my Dad and Gram on a day trip to southeast Maine.  Despite growing up in Massachusetts, I think this was my first official trip to Maine.  We spent some time enjoying the beautiful beach towns of Kittery, York Harbor, Ogunquit, and Kennebunkport before heading back to Adams late in the evening.  It was a great day trip, complete with lighthouses and beach time.

Nubble Lighthouse

Along the Marginal Way Walk

Along the Marginal Way Walk

Kennebunkport loves Bush

Thanks for the fun day, Dad and Gram!

Gram and Dad at Nubble Light House