Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Las Vegas, Nevada - Marathon

I ran the Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon this weekend with Jake. I did the 26.2 miles in just over four hours, a time I'm happy with considering I hadn't run for several weeks prior to the marathon. I was worried about some pain in my leg near the site of last year's fracture, so I decided if I wanted to run I'd be better off undertrained than totally injured. Things worked out and my leg felt great. I even felt great, but probably more out of shape than I would have been if I had trained properly.

The course was fantastic! The first 10 miles took us up and down the Las Vegas Strip, and then out into more residential areas before returning to the Strip for the big finish. The volunteers were awesome, and the crowd support was great. It was by far the most fun marathon I've run so far. There were even running Santas, Elvi (plural for Elvis), the yip-yip-yip-awwww aliens from Sesame Street, and a banana.

I've never known sore like not running for a month, and then running a marathon. Ouch!


The Vegas Strip (courtesy of Jake's mom)

Loving life around mile 22 (courtesy of Jake's mom)

No one from "Thunder from Down Under" was available

#4 for me and #5 for Jake