Monday, November 9, 2015

Silver Falls State Park, Oregon - Hiking (and not running)

The Silver Falls 50K was my most difficult race because I decided not to run.  I fell and sprained my ankle while running last month, and despite the fact that nearly all of the pain and swelling had disappeared by November, I knew I wasn't ready for 31 miles of trail.  My plane ticket was purchased and I was still looking forward to visiting with Keith and Melissa in Portland, so I flew up to Oregon on Thursday night and spent the weekend with them at Silver Falls State Park.  It was heartbreaking to feel the excitement of race day, watch people run, and see the emotions at the finish line as I sat on the sidelines, unable to participate but wanting to so badly.  At the same time, it was a wonderful reminder of how thankful I am to have the health and ability to run despite an occasional setback or injury.  While Keith and Melissa were running, I had the opportunity to hike along some of the trails of the park.  It was a spectacular place!

South Falls

Keith ran the full marathon on Saturday and Melissa ran the half on Sunday.  They both had excellent races and I think they surprised themselves at how well they ran in their first trail races.  Congratulations to both of them!

South Falls

Walking behind South Falls

Lower South Falls

Foliage

Lower North Falls

Our cabin for the weekend