Monday, October 13, 2014

Diamond Fork Canyon, Utah - Trail Running and Camping

Diamond Fork Canyon is a place I've passed numerous times on the way to somewhere else, most often on the way to Moab.  Diamond Fork branches off highway 6 between Spanish Fork and Price, but it never seemed as exciting as the red rock canyons waiting three hours down the road.  Diamond Fork Hot Springs, also known as Fifth Water Hot Springs, have been on my to-do list for a long time, but their popularity and resulting crowds have always been a turnoff.

Roger signed up for a canyoneering and climbing course that took place in Diamond Fork over the weekend.  When I found out they were camping in the canyon at the Diamond Campground, I decided to join.  Not for the climbing and canyoneering, but for some relaxing camping, foliage viewing, and trail running.  A much shorter drive than our typical adventures, we arrived at the campground just before sunset on Friday night.  The foliage was peak, and the cottonwood trees were radiating a brilliant yellow all over the campground.

Diamond campground foliage

Diamond campground foliage

While Roger was climbing on Saturday, I took advantage of the gorgeous autumn weather to do a 20 mile trail run.  Starting from the campground, I headed up the canyon road for a couple of miles and then onto a trail at Monks Hollow.  It was a rigorous climb the entire way out, but the views were spectacular and the foliage was impressive for Utah.  Aside from two people on an ATV, I had the entire area to myself.

Cottonwood trees at Diamond campground

Foliage in Monks Hollow

Trail running in Monks Hollow

Foliage in Monks Hollow

Diamond Fork River

I didn't make it to the hot springs as I had planned on Sunday.  The weather turned much cooler and wetter, and it was a bit of a hike along the road to get to the hot spring trail head.  Instead, I relaxed at camp, read a book, and watched the cottonwood trees shed their golden leaves.  It was probably crowded at the hot springs, anyway.