Monday, March 7, 2011

Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado - Snowshoeing

Just because I have decided that I'm over Winter does not, of course, mean that winter will cooperate and yield to Spring. The Winter season tends to linger for a long time here in the Mountain West and it's not unusual to see snow fall in May and even into June.

The first attempted snowshoeing trip of the season was with Josh in Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. It was Halloween weekend and the weather was so warm and dry that we ended up carrying our snowshoes on our backs the entire way.


Where's all the snow?

A few weeks later, Rob, Ryan, Lesa and I found lots of new snow on a trek up to White Pine Lake in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Between November and February I managed to get out snowshoeing quite a few times and even invested in a fancy new pair of MSR snowshoes. By the time February comes to an end, I'm ready to be done with the snow and cold. Four months is enough.


Lesa, Ryan, and Rob enjoying a lovely day in White Pine Canyon

Rob needed to head over to Denver and decided it would be fun to make a long weekend trip out of it. We spent two nights in Estes Park, CO in a great cabin before heading down to Denver on Sunday. My friends Kevin, Josh, and Justin joined us for one night in Estes Park and Rob and I spent two days snowshoeing within Rocky Mountain National Park.


Rob on the way to Flattop Mountain - Rocky Mountain NP

On the way to Flattop Mountain - Rocky Mountain NP

Windblown trees on the way to Flattop Mountain - Rocky Mountain NP

Windblown Rob - Flattop Mountain

On the way to Flattop Mountain - Rocky Mountain NP

Bierstadt Lake - Rocky Mountain NP

Rob giving me a ride on the ride - Bierstadt Lake

Winter started and ended for me in Rocky Mountain National Park. I'm sure there will be more snow over the next few months, but it's time to move onto biking and hiking.